Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Another Day of Writing:

So on the same subject I'm sure many of you find boring, today will be another writing day for me. I'm going to attempt to beat yesterday's word count, just for fun. I'm not pressuring myself. As you know, I wrote over 15K in one day before, so beating 6,702 isn't out of the question. The most important thing is to work on Sons of the Wild Frontier. Then I'll work on some ideas for Cutter's Revenge and the western fantasy screenplay. I'm thinking of working on that other project, too...the one I'm working on with my friend, Patti.

By the way, here's an excerpt from Cottage:
“Orly,” I heard Gabriel call out.

I took the steps two at a time, worried that something might have happened to him. My heart and mind were racing as I ran into the house. I looked around but didn't see him.

“In here,” he called from the living room.

I went into the living room, afraid of what I would find. Gabriel was alright, but he was standing on the far side of the room staring at the furniture. The sofa and loveseat, the coffee table and end tables and the bookcases all sat in the middle of the room. Someone had moved them while I was at Gabriel's house.

Anger shoved fear aside as I stared up at the ceiling and clenched my hands into fists at my sides. “Alright!” I shouted. “This has gone far enough!”

“What are you doing?” Gabriel asked, puzzled, stepping around the furniture to stand beside me.

“I'm tired of this!” I shouted without looking at him. Angrily, I raised a fist into the air. “I want everything back where it's supposed to be by morning!”

Gabriel looked at me with a mixture of admiration and doubt. “Are you sure anyone's listening?” he asked.

“I don't know, but I'm not going to stand for this in my own house,” I muttered.

“Good for you, Orly. Take control. Let 'em have it!” he laughed, then more quietly, he murmured, “I hope you know what you're doing.”

“How could I possibly know what I'm doing?” I asked just as quietly. “I've never lived in a haunted house before. I'm just getting tired of these antics. I've got to let this spirit know that I won't tolerate his shenanigans.”

“That's the spirit,” Gabriel smiled. He turned to me and pushed my hair back over my shoulder, a look of concern replacing the smile. “If anything happens, you'll let me know?”

I nodded, letting my gaze meet his, then he touched my face. I didn't know what to do. I was more afraid of him than of the spirit that haunted my cottage, but I couldn't let him know that. I needed to be strong.

I turned away.

“Orly?” he asked.

“It's getting late. I still want to read some of the diary, some of the letters,” I said quietly.

“Alright,” he said quietly, not pushing the issue, but clearly wondering about my abruptness. “You'll call me if anything happens?”

“I said I would,” I said.

“Yes, you did,” he nodded. “I just want to make sure you won't change your mind.”

“I won't,” I assured him, walking him to the door.

“Alright, then I guess I'd better be going. I'll see you soon?”

“Of course,” I said, wanting both to see him as soon as possible and to run away and never see his handsome face again. I was quite torn by my emotions at that moment. I didn't know if I should keep him at bay or take a chance and let him into my heart. All I knew was that I'd been hurt horribly before and I didn't want to go through that kind of torment again. I was afraid to take the chance that he would break my heart. “Good night.”

“Good night, Orly,” he said quietly, lingering at the door. He touched my face, reluctant to go. “I don't know what happened to you in the past, but I'm not him. You can trust me,” he said, then he turned to go, giving me no chance to respond.

I went back inside and closed the door before he'd even started his car. I couldn't watch him leave. I was in danger of letting myself be vulnerable to him and I didn't want him to know it. I had no doubt that I would run after him and beg him to stay, but I forced myself to turn away and head back inside. Once I closed the door, I leaned against it, fighting the tears that welled up in my eyes. I reminded myself that I had to be strong, then I walked to the stairway leading up to my room.

It's not great, I'll admit, but it was fun to write! :D

Anyway, I've already got a pot of beans going in the slow cooker. I got the veggies ready last night so I wouldn't have to worry about them this morning. I've also cooked the fajita chicken so I won't have to worry about that for the next couple of days. I've eaten breakfast, even had about a quarter cup of coffee. Now I just need to finish up online, then I can get to work! :)

Have a great day! :D

Lois

2 comments: