Thursday, January 7, 2010

99

I got the movie, 99, in the mail yesterday and we watched it last night. It was awesome! Kunal Khemu is a very funny actor, and so was Cyrus Broacha, his side kick. My only complaint was with the subtitles. For one thing, they were often too fast for me to read. The nice thing is that I could still understand what was going on. Still, I may have to learn Hindi if I want to keep up! :) Second, some of the words in the subtitles were misspelled or just plain wrong, but again, I could understand what was going on and what was being said. If anyone is interested in finding out what Bollywood films are like, I would highly recommend this movie. It was a lot of fun to watch, and it wasn't a musical in the way you would think. The music was in the background, not part of the story. Sometimes it's nice to branch out to movies outside of Hollywood, and this movie was very entertaining. I loved this movie and I would definitely give it two thumbs up! :D

Here's a very brief synopsis I got from Netflix:
When unlucky delinquents Sachin (Kunal Khemu) and Zaramud (Cyrus Broacha) attempt to collect a debt for their boss, they stumble into a series of random misadventures involving a beautiful woman, treacherous criminals, incredible conspiracies and a large sum of money. Directed by Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K., this Bollywood comedy also stars Boman Irani, Soha Ali Khan, Simone Singh and Mahesh Manjrekar.
And a few reviews [text in brackets is mine]:
*** Surprisingly good movie, well acted and decently directed. And no song and dance routines either. The story was interesting, especially the cricket fixing part, but could have used more tighter direction.

***** Funny movie - really liked it. The first 60 mins are outright hilarious, especially if you follow Bombay slang [didn't seem to be a problem for Jeff and me]. Cyrus Broacha & Mahesh Manjrekar are too good and I kept this movie for a couple of days just to replay the initial scenes. I personally hated Mahesh Manjrekar in all his previous films, but he was by far the best character in this film. If you depend on the subtitles, you probably won't like this film [which isn't true for me, as I loved it].

***** Lots of fun. A very clever script. Highly recommend it if you like a more modern, hip Hindi film. Really good.

**** Nice movie. Guys will like it more than gals [not necessarily true, I love action and comedy, and I think I liked it a little more than Jeff did]. Good plot. Kunal and Boman are good.
And that's it for my movie review, if you can call it that. ;)

Yesterday, I managed to write two character journal entries. My word count for the day was 2,409. Not bad, but it could have been better. Photobucket screwed up a bunch of my photos and I had to re-name them and re-upload them, so that ate into my writing time. :(

Today, I plan on writing more entries, but first I've got to finish up on here.

Have an awesome day! :D

Lois

No comments:

Post a Comment