Saturday, July 18, 2009

Small Steps Are Good Steps When You're Heading In the Right Direction:

Note: The photo to the left is of my mother's father, Robert O'Dell Williams, taken in June, 1963.

I'm not working on my own writing today. I'm working on editing a friend's short story, instead.

I'm excited today. It's a small thing, really, but it's helped me get over the "blah" feelings I was experiencing yesterday. I got an e-mail newsletter from a geneology Web site and it had a link for "Maine Marriage Records." Well, on a whim, I decided to do a search for my grandma and grandpa on my dad's side of the family. I found them! :D From there, I did a death record search for my grandma and found that, too!

See, my dad told me that we have Northeastern Indian heritage from his mother's side of the family...this is in addition to the Cherokee from my mother's father's side of the family. My cousin is working on that side of the family tree, so I'm thinking of trying to trace my dad's side of the family tree. I have a couple of aunts and a great aunt I'd like to contact about it first. If they can give me some information, that would help me in my research. I'm really looking forward to the hunt!

And this could give me some good writing material, too! :D

Well, I'd better get to work on the edit.

Have a great afternoon!

Lois



2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic gold mine of info you stumbled upon!! It is going to be a lot of fun writing up your family stories AND using a lot of what you find in your own fiction!! Best of everything to you -- you're in for a TREAT!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)

    It's funny. I've asked my father for any information he can give me, but he's never even given me this information. I'm sure he knew his parents' wedding date and the date of his mother's death. I don't get it. He says he's interested in finding out more, but he won't tell me what he actually know! :P

    ReplyDelete