Zzz
Judy and Henson have been married for almost one year. Judy is a late riser and a grump for the first hour after she wakes up. Henson cannot tolerate staying in bed beyond 6 a.m., and he likes to do something active as soon as he gets up. On Judy's birthday, he proudly brings her breakfast in bed- at 6:30 a.m. Describe the breakfast scene and the tiff that ensues. Use liberal doses of dialogue.
-------------------------------------------
Judy and Henson have been married for almost one year. Judy is a late riser and a grump for the first hour after she wakes up. Henson cannot tolerate staying in bed beyond 6 a.m., and he likes to do something active as soon as he gets up. On Judy's birthday, he proudly brings her breakfast in bed- at 6:30 a.m. Describe the breakfast scene and the tiff that ensues. Use liberal doses of dialogue.
-------------------------------------------
"Sweetie, wake up," Henson sang cheerfully upon entering the dark bedroom.
Judy pulled her pillow over her head, groaning as she did so.
"Sweetie," Henson said, sitting the breakfast tray down and pulling the pillow away. "I've made you some breakfast."
"Erm..." Judy mumbled. "Go away."
"Sweetheart, don't you care about the effort I put into this delightful breakfast? I've made your favorites: strawberry pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon. And coffee, piping hot." He put a hand on her back and caressed her between the shoulder blades. "C'mon, honey, get up."
"Let me sleep," Judy murmured into the the crook of her arm.
Henson couldn't take it any longer. He leaned over and switched on the lamp on the bedside table.
Judy groaned, raised her head and glared at him, squinting against the light.
"What the hell...?" she exclaimed, sitting up.
Henson smiled at her and picked up the tray.
"Breakfast!" he exclaimed.
"And what makes you think I'd want to eat at...what time is it?" she looked at the clock and groaned again. Her eyes grew wide in horror. "6:30!"
"It's morning, my love," Henson beamed. "And you can only have breakfast in the morning. Come. Eat!"
Judy glared at her husband. She and Henson had only been married for ten and a half months. If she'd known then what a morning person Henson was, she would never have married him. She couldn't suffer getting up at 6:00 every morning. That's why she worked a later shift. She was a night owl. When the sun went down, she was just starting her day.
"I don't want any," she declared, crossing her arms and raising her chin in defiance.
"Don't want any?" Henson asked, his face crestfallen. "But I made this for your birthday. I wanted to do something special for you."
"If you really wanted to do something special for me, Henny, you would let me sleep in and make me a special dinner, instead!" She turned around and laid back down, covering her eyes with her arm.
"But, Baby...!"
Judy rolled back to look at him.
"Look, Henny, I was up until four this morning. How can you do this to me? I've got to get some rest!"
"Just have a little breakfast," Henson begged. "Then you can go back to sleep."
"Promise?"
"Scout's honor," he said, crossing his chest with his fingers.
"Alright, but I can't eat much. I won't be able to sleep."
"That's fine, Honey. Just eat what you can."
She began to eat, but Henson was watching her, making her feel very awkward and uncomfortable.
"Do you have to hover?" she asked.
"Hover? I'm not hovering," he said.
"Yes, you are," she declared. "You're sitting there watching me as if you think I'm going to make off with your prized silver or something. Let me eat in peace, won't you?"
Henson sighed sadly. "I just wanted to share some special time with you, make you a nice breakfast, you know..."
"That is out of the question," Judy said, narrowing her eyes as she realized what he really wanted. "You're incorrigible!"
"You can't blame a guy for trying, Sweetie."
"Oh, yes, I can!" she said, sliding the breakfast tray toward her husband. "Now, I've eaten some. Get this out of here and let me sleep."
"But...you've barely touched it!" he exclaimed.
"I told you I couldn't eat much. Just leave me alone so I can get some sleep."
"Okay, Honey. A promise is a promise." He picked up the tray and watched as she rolled over. "Happy birthday," he said sadly.
Judy murmured something, but he couldn't tell what it was. He turned off the light, then left the room.
------------------------------------
Zzz piece is copyright © 2009 by Lois Eighmy
Zzz piece is copyright © 2009 by Lois Eighmy

No comments:
Post a Comment