Thursday, February 10, 2011

Writing, Research, and Recovery

Harry Lloyd as Will Scarlet in BBC's Robin Hood
I fell last Tuesday when we had the big storm...the one that started with freezing rain, then turned to sleet before finally turning to all snow. Initially, I didn't feel like I'd been injured, but later that afternoon, I began feeling sore. I'm mostly fine now, but my left wrist has been giving me a little trouble. I think I probably have a mild sprain. I've been taking it really easy with it, keeping it as immobile as I can. Most of my keyboarding has been with one hand, so it's been slow-going. I'm on the mend, though, thanks to the steps I've been taking to minimize the use of "the bad hand." I've also been using Tiger Balm, and that's worked wonders over the past two days. :)

During all this, I've been watching a lot of Robin Hood (the most recent BBC series)...well, really only one disc. I need to send it back so I can get another one. Anyway, I've been inspired to write a Robin Hood story of my own. During my recovery, I've been doing a lot of research on the Robin Hood legend--the characters, the "real" outlaws, the earliest tales--and I have to say, it's been a blast! I've been coming up with lots of ideas for my story, and I'm still at it.

As for the characters, my story's hero will be Will Scarlet, not Robin Hood, though Robin and the others will be in it. I thought it would be interesting to concentrate on a member of the outlaw band who doesn't really get a lot of attention (at least not from what I've noticed, but I haven't seen or read everything there is about him). He was in the earliest tales, and of all the outlaws, only Will and Little John were with Robin until the end (though Little John was the only one with Robin when he died).

I'm using names of people believed to be the real Robin, John and Will, too. I'm basing their physical appearances on the ones who played them in the BBC series I mentioned, but their personalities will be based on research I've been doing combined with my own imagination. I hope I can do them justice!

I began a short this morning, and it's currently sitting at 801 words. I think it's time to take a break, but I want to get back to it after lunch.

I haven't knitted or crocheted anything since the day I fell. Once my wrist began to bother me, I set it aside. I don't want to injure myself further.

Anyway, since my wrist is feeling somewhat alright at the moment, I wanted to post a quick update here to let you know what I've been doing. I guess it turned out to be a bit longer than I intended, but that's good. :)

Hope this finds you all healthy and happy!

Lois

No comments:

Post a Comment